Thursday, May 9, 2013

To-Do Lists


I’ve been busy lately. My day job is unrelenting, my mother has been ill, and I sometimes I feel overwhelmed. I could put more pressure on myself by making a huge list of every task that needs to be done, but I won’t. Why? Because I found a to-do list method that keeps me going, but doesn’t add to my anxiety.

Time management is a topic that most people are familiar with. Some people like the long lists because they work better when they have that type of pressure. And they like the satisfaction of checking things off as they get done. Others don’t make lists, but take on items as they come up. Somehow they still manage to get the critical tasks done, along with handling smaller issues.

I used to be a hybrid of the two. I made lists so I wouldn’t forget to do certain things, but I also found myself stopping to address minor annoyances just to “get them off my plate.” My problem was that there were too many minor annoyances, and I felt like I wasn’t making any headway on larger projects. Then the stress built up, and it stopped my work.

If you have a system that works for you, that’s a huge plus. If you’re still looking, try Michael Linenberger’s The One Minute To-Do List (see my review here). I was skeptical at first, but after reading his book, I realized I knew the information, but wasn’t applying it effectively. It took a few tries for me to get in sync with Mr. Linenberger’s techniques, but once I got into the groove, it came naturally.

The system is flexible, and works on several platforms. I can plan ahead and easily change plans if I need to. But I always know what I’m doing, where I’m headed, and how I’m going to do it. Why wouldn’t I love that?

Do I always follow the process exactly? No. But I’m not a robot either. When I get off track, it’s easy to get back on—all it takes is a little bit of thought on my part. What is important, what can be put off for a short time, what can be put off for a longer time? It’s as simple as that! It puts the power back into my hands and gives me the control I need on my terms.

Time management doesn’t have to be a waste of time if it’s done right.

No comments:

Post a Comment