Thursday, June 6, 2013

Plot & Structure


A plot is technically defined as a “sequence of events that moves a story forward”, which doesn’t in itself sound difficult. But when you put those events down on paper for your reader, it must done in the proper way. Plot and structure is so integral to our work as writers, and I love the James Scott Bell book by the same name (see my review here).

I’m critiquing some short stories, and most of them have a plot with proper structure. Every once in a while, I run into a story that has a sequence of events, but doesn’t move the story along. Just because something happened doesn’t mean you report it, if it is insignificant. I have to remind some writers that we only need to set forth the sentences that will make a difference, and we don’t need a blow-by-blow account of what Ann did from the moment she opened her eyes until she got to the office and found her boss dead.

Who cares that she measured her coffee, put the water in the coffeemaker, turned on the machine, put bread in the toaster and buttered it when it popped up? Who cares that she got in the shower, blow-dried her hair, put on mascara, eyeliner, and blush before brushing her teeth? I don’t, unless she is doing this because this routine is her post-kill habit.

It’s a good reminder for me as well. I’m still editing the second book in my science fiction trilogy, and after I read a scene, I ask myself what its purpose is. Does it need to be there? Or is it a passage of pretty words that the reader will have to slog through? I’m cutting and slashing my hard work, but doing so makes my novel that much better. The plot moves, the scenes and overall storyline are structured, and the book is more enjoyable.

By taking a hard look at my plot and structure before I write, I end up with a better result when it comes time to edit. Every scene seems important at the time, but after careful consideration, I realize some do nothing for my audience. Keeping my readers happy is the goal, and paying attention to the sequence of events that matter makes that happen.

Plot and structure are two of the most basic foundations of writing, so review your own work to be sure that you’ve done it just right!

No comments:

Post a Comment