Friday, September 18, 2009

I've been reading up on how to write a synopsis because I need to get one done for my almost complete novel. The problem is, I'm scared to write it! Every website I've looked at has called it the "dreaded synopsis" in some form or another. I keep reading about how difficult it is to write and how painful the process is.

If I have to start from an attitude like that, of course I'm worried. But in the back of my mind, I keep thinking that I've written the whole book, so how hard can it be to boil it down to mere pages?

I finally discovered Lisa Gardner. Her website is fantastic, and I am not so intimidated by the synopsis any longer. She has an entire course about synopsis writing on her site, and she's even posted a few examples. What I've learned is, I need to go through my book, chapter by chapter and find the plot points and turning points. If I can do that, the synopsis should write itself.

Of course I have to obey all the rules, such as writing in present tense and giving away the ending. But I can conquer this scary beast. All I had to do was filter through all the information and find someone who could help me.

Yes, there is a lot of information out there. And because each of us learns differently and absorbs things differently, the variety is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment