Saturday, November 21, 2009

The stress of feeling behind all the time can be overwhelming.

I always have a plan, a tight schedule, that I try to follow. It helps if I map out my day by the hour, so I can stay on track. I love being able to cross off each hour because I feel a sense of accomplishment. But sometimes I have to be flexible in my rigid schedule, and that throws me off.

Sometimes, life gets in the way.

I was right on target with my NANO word count, and the unexpected happened. Last Monday, my mom fell and broke her hip. We live in a small town, so the ambulance had to take her to a hospital that is 55 miles away. I tried to keep up with the 1,667 words a day. I tried to work with a new client. I tried to stay on top of my coaching program assignment. But my life fell apart this week and I am woefully behind.

I realized that all my good intentions don't matter when it comes to some things, like family. There will be long hours for the rest of the month as I type as fast as I can to reach 50,000 words. There will be other clients. And I might turn in my assignment late, but it will get done.

Family trumps all, and I know that somehow, my life will fall back into place and I'll be a stronger, better person when the dust settles.

I'll keep reminding myself : inch by inch it's a cinch; yard by yard it's hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment