Sunday, March 28, 2010

Last Wednesday I had to take one of my dogs to the vet. A man came running in and said he parked his truck on the side of the building. A couple of people ran out with a big purple stretcher and brought a big black lab inside.

The dog had been hit by a car.

I watched one of the technicians run around and gather supplies while the doctor carefully examined the dog. I could hear labored breathing, and looked in the room. The dog's eyes were closed, and he didn't appear to have any serious wounds. He looked like he was merely asleep.

His owner kneeled on the floor beside him, crying, asking the vet to do anything she could to save him. My heart broke.

The dog's injuries were too severe, and he didn't make it.

I couldn't help but think about the tenuous string that keeps us on earth. We take so much for granted, believing our life will go on. We don't think to love those around us every day. We miss some great opportunities, don't we?

When I'm busy, I forget to take a moment to hug my dogs, my husband, my parents. I worry about is the work I think has to get done, when I should be worrying about loving those around me.

For they too could be gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment