Thursday, December 20, 2012


I was at the gym working out the other day, and a woman I see regularly approached me. She said, “I see you running all the time, and it reminds me of how I used to be. I love to run, but can no longer do it because I have a pacemaker.”

I told her that I enjoy running, but some days it's not as enjoyable because I'm inside running on a treadmill.

She looked at me and said, “At least you get to run.”

I had to think long and hard about that. If I couldn't run, what would I do? I see her at the gym all the time on the elliptical or lifting weights, and she is fit and happy. I take for granted, that my body allows me to run.
 
The next day, I ran for a different purpose--not just because I feel like I should, but because I can.

The same lesson applies to my writing. People tell me, “I’ve always wanted to write a book, but I don’t have time.” Or, “I’ve always hated to write, but one day I’ll write a book.”

Today, I looked at my writing with a different purpose. One of my dreams was to publish a book for my dad to see. Unfortunately, I waited too long. Now I write not only because I can, but because I don't want to have any other regrets.

Writing is hard. There are days that few words come out. There are other days that I write and feel like I can't stop. Of course, those are the days I enjoy more, but the days I struggle are worth it. The days that I struggle are the days I know I have worked toward my goal of no regrets.

Just as I fight the boredom of running on a treadmill, and fight the days that I don't feel like running, I fight to put the words on paper.
 
In the end, I know that pushing myself will net the gains I desire whether I'm running or writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment