Friday, December 28, 2012


My Rottweiler, Isamu, is a beautiful dog. He has golden eyes that look at me with wonder when I talk to him, and a square chin that rivals Superman.

Isamu, or Sami, as we call him, is a large dog with many fears. There are certain parts of the floor that he's afraid of, and if he perceives a barrier is in his way, he gets frightened and won't walk around it. However, when he is outside, and sees a person, a car, or an animal, he is fierce. He barks, raises the hair on his back, and acts as if he is the protector of the world.

We have tried to help him overcome his fears, but at seven years of age, it doesn't appear that he will conquer them.

Conquering fears can be difficult. When I started writing, I had an incredible fear of rejection. I still worry about what people will say about my writing, but it isn't a paralyzing fear that stops me. If I want to be successful as an author, I must conquer my fears and realize that I can't please everyone.

Mean words hurt. As writers, we work hard. We write, edit, polish, and love our prose. No one wants to publish only to have others tear them down. But inevitably someone is going to make a comment that rips out your heart and makes you feel inadequate, worthless, or incompetent.

Somehow you must overcome that hurt, and write because you love it, and because your supporting audience loves it.

If you never conquer your fear, branch out, and put yourself out there, you'll never know success. Like Sami, I will always have fears, but will put on my bravest and fiercest face when I submit or publish anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment