Thursday, February 21, 2013

Genre


I wanted to enter a contest where I was to submit the first ten sentences of my science fiction novel for an agent to review. The guidelines were simple enough, but I got stuck in my own brain.

The novel I’m working on has a paranormal theme, but I didn’t know if it was science fiction.

I never entered the contest because I couldn’t get past the genre question. I did some research, and don’t think my book fits the “sci-fi” definition. I discovered that paranormal is typically a subgenre of horror, but I’m not so sure my book fits the definition of “horror” either.

I have another novel that is complete, and I’ve always called it a mystery.  But when I was doing my one millionth edit (at least it feels like I’ve read it that many times!), I started to question whether or not it really fits into that category. I submitted it to a publisher, but I’m still not sure if I’ve classified it properly.

There is a lot of crossover in genre, and a lot of subsets within each major category.  Over the next few posts, I will share a basic definition for each major category and the subgenres under each one. I hope this will be helpful to you if you get stuck in the “genre” quandary, especially when you’re submitting your work.

COMMERCIAL V. LITERARY FICTION

One of the common questions writers ask is, “What is the difference between commercial fiction and literary fiction?” The easy answer is that commercial fiction is genre fiction that is heavily plot-driven, and literary fiction is more character-driven. What this means is that commercial fiction focuses on the storyline and the external and internal conflicts that are resolved in some manner. It moves at a quick pace and keeps the reader entertained. Literary fiction is based on a character with internal and emotional conflicts and how that character reacts to events that occur. It moves at a much slower pace, with artistic prose, and invokes deeper thought.

ACTION AND ADVENTURE

Action and Adventure stories are often lumped together, but they also have distinct differences. Action involves the main character in dire situations with scenes that include elements such as fighting, escapes, and buildings blowing up. Adventure is a journey that the characters take to accomplish a particular mission. Action and Adventure can occur across any genre, meaning any story can have an element of Action and/or Adventure, even if it’s not the main focus. Some subset genres include spy stories, military stories, crime stories, and thrillers.
 
CHICK LIT

Chick lit is a category of writing for women by women. It tells of real world experiences younger women face, in an entertaining manner. It includes some type of glitz and glamour, and addresses the wants and needs of its audience. Chick lit is light, easy to read, and quick-paced. It crosses other genres, such as chick lit mystery and chick lit humor.
 
Next week, I'll post the next installment in the genre journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment