Thursday, April 4, 2013

Marketing with Social Media


Before I waded into the world of social media, I did a lot of research. I wanted to know as much as possible about LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter so I didn’t make a fool out of myself. I read several online articles, watched several videos, and still hesitated to jump in.

Why? Because I received a lot of conflicting information.

There are differing viewpoints about setting up profiles, what to share, what not to share (I’m appalled at some posts I’ve read), how often to share, and I just wanted basic information to start with.

Enter Social Media Marketing for Dummies by Phyllis Khare (see my review here). I was able to glean from her book, the general material I needed to open accounts. What I figured out while reading the book is this: social media needs to be professional if you’re trying to market yourself as a writer.

That doesn’t mean you can’t put in cute pictures of your kids or your dogs. It doesn’t mean you can’t tell us about the fabulous dinner you had the night before. Being personal and personable are great qualities. But your posts need to reflect you and your brand and not turn off any potential publisher, editor, agent, or reader.

I’ve seen people make political statements, religious statements, rant about retailers, carry on about other people. If that isn't your brand, it can be a polarizing topic! Yes, we should all have opinions, but we should be mindful about how far we spread them. I know I don’t want to antagonize anyone who could potentially move my writing career forward. Being an attorney, I also must pay attention to privacy and ethical issues. It’s a huge topic that every bar association is talking about, and until the rules are settled, social media for attorneys can be unsettling.

Social media has helped careers; social media has hurt careers. Think about your message before you post to ensure that it is relevant and helpful, and not harmful.

No comments:

Post a Comment