Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Out of Bad Comes Good


“Tragedy Times Three”, the headline of our local newspaper, The Idaho Enterprise, screams. And a tragedy it is. Three people murdered in our small county—a father, son, and son’s girlfriend. Actually, the tragedy also extends to two others, as the girlfriend’s two-year-old and two-month-old daughters were found alive at the crime scene and now have no mother.

Out of this unfortunate situation, something good has come. Authorities found sixty-four pit bulls that were part of a dog fighting ring. Although one had to be euthanized, the other sixty-three were taken to the Idaho Humane Society in Boise, Idaho (See the story here https://www.idahohumanesociety.org/news/2013/04/63-pit-bulls-from-oneida-county-arrive-at-ihs.aspx).

These animals have a chance. They have an opportunity for positive human interaction. They have hope. In almost every photo I’ve seen, the dogs look relieved because somehow they understand they’re being rescued from an impossible situation. They’re being held in someone’s arms, or playing with one of the handlers. It’s a beautiful thing.

I know many people don’t see any value to pit bulls, but they happen to be my breed of choice. Our first pit bull, Lucille, was rescued from a dog fighting operation in Wyoming. Our current pit bull, Zeb, was rescued from an abusive situation. Either one of them could have been a mean dog, but with love, time, and patience, both came to understand that they were home and weren’t going to be hurt.

I’m an advocate of breed-neutral laws because all pit bulls are not dangerous. I know a Pomeranian and a Yorkie that are meaner than most pits. Cities and counties shouldn’t ban a breed just because they deem it “dangerous”. Of course, some dogs can’t be changed, and it may be safer for people and for the dog if they are put down. But again, it isn’t only pit bulls.

Owners should have responsibility as well. Anyone who owns a pet should be cognizant of his or her animal and its propensities. Sometimes I take Zeb to work with me, and I take him along when I run errands. He is curious and vocal when he wants people to notice him and pay attention to him, and almost everyone he meets tells me they never thought they’d ever pet a pit bull. But I also know what he fears—big men with baseball hats. I do everything possible to keep him safe and in control because that’s my job.

I’ll get off my soapbox now, and leave you with this poem I wrote that is published in the book Dog Blessings:

Lessons

If I greeted everyone happily
Instead of eyeing with distrust
If I didn’t pass judgment
But accepted all
If I listened intently
With understanding in my eyes
If I brought comfort
All the time, no matter what
If I loved unconditionally
Without reservation
If I lived life more simply
Instead of worrying so much
If I played tirelessly
And didn’t work so hard
If I made people smile
Just by my presence in the room
If I experienced true joy
At the little things in life
Then I’d be the perfect friend
Just like my dog

 

No comments:

Post a Comment