Friday, May 22, 2009

What a beautiful day to start the long Memorial Day weekend!

I took my parents to the cemetery yesterday to leave flowers on 4 graves. My paternal grandparents are buried in an old cemetery, and every year I look at the headstones of two nuns who are buried just above them. No one ever leaves flowers on their graves, and my grandparents' grave gets inundated with them.

I often wonder about the dead who never have anyone visit them. Maybe they have no family. Maybe their family is out-of-state and can't travel to visit. Maybe their family doesn't care. Does anyone even remember they were once alive? Did they not leave a footprint behind?

It gave me a chance to remind myself that what I do in my time here on earth matters. It doesn't mean I have to be famous, but just that I should do good things to touch the lives of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment