Friday, July 3, 2009

My husband and I did a triathlon last Saturday. I was worried he would come in dead last, which he did, but I came in next to last only because he pushed me over the finish line before him.

I thought I could swim 1/4 mile with no problem. I got halfway out and caught a jet ski ride back. I didn't dare to put my face into the water because it was really dirty, and I couldn't swim in a straight line on my back. My legs got tired too, and I can see how easy it would be to drown. Water is powerful.

I thought about how easy it is to drown outside of water. Too many bills, too many activities pulling us in every direction, too many stressors that take over. Pretty soon, we don't control our own lives, but let our circumstances control us. I don't like living like that, and I don't want to drown.

It's hard to put ourselves first when so many other things seem more important. But just like the flight attendants tell you, put your own oxygen mask on first before you help anyone else because if you become incapacitated, you're no good to anyone.

This past week, I scheduled "me" time into my days. No, it's not time I devote to other activities such as my workouts. It's time I can just sit and play Solitaire or read or watch television--whatever suits my fancy. The first day I thought I was wasting time, but by the third day, I realized I like having 30 minutes to goof off.

I'm not going to drown. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment