Saturday, October 10, 2009

There is a great service that every writer should know about. It's called Writer's Relief.

The Writer's Relief newsletters are full of great information, writing tips, and punctuation and grammar primers. I learn something with every issue, and appreciate their humor as well. I somehow managed to win their a la carte service with a silly little poem I wrote for their 15th anniversary. With the a la carte service, Writer's Relief will target markets for your writing, and send address labels so you can submit your stories, poems or novel.

This kicked my writing into high gear! I finished and polished my novel, and completed the Writer's Relief form. A short time later, I received address labels for 29 literary agents. I rewrote my synopsis, wrote a query letter, and polished the first 3 chapters of my book.

I'm proud to say that I went to the post office this morning and mailed off 29 envelopes with my fingers crossed that one agent will want to see the full manuscript. Writer's Relief does say that it generally takes 100 submissions before you get a "yes", but I'm hopeful that it will only take 29. We'll see how it goes!

The point is, Writer's Relief made this part of my work so simple. I can't begin to imagine how many hours of studying the markets they saved me. Without a doubt, I will use their services again, and I hope that you'll check them out as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment