Friday, October 30, 2009

To outline or not to outline?

That's a question I've struggled with many times. The first year I participated in NANO in 2007, I wrote a very detailed outline using the book First Draft in 30 Days. I found my book easy to write because I knew exactly where I was going each day and I didn't stray from the course at all. I love my characters and where it ended, but I haven't gone back to that manuscript to revise and edit, and to see if I still love it.

In my second year of NANO in 2008, I had an idea floating around in my brain. I sort of knew who my characters were, the setting, the plot. I went forward with my half-baked (more like quarter-baked) idea and my characters grew through the story. I thought I knew where the book would end up, but it took a surprising turn in the middle--one that I went with even though I didn't know where it was going. The end result? A book I love, characters I love, and so far, 16 rejection letters from agents. But it is a book I am willing to put out there because I love it that much.

The new year of NANO starts on Sunday. I've been toying with an idea since last spring, and it has been percolating for a long time--at least long by my standards. I'm going middle of the road this time: I wrote a summary that is nine pages long and like it so far. We'll see how the 30 days of November goes with this novel writing method.

I have no doubt I'll make my 50,000 word goal as I have the past two years. I love this challenge and hope to create a new manuscript that I'll love and want to market!

No comments:

Post a Comment