Friday, October 2, 2009

Yesterday I did squats and lunges for the first time in months. Boy do I feel it today!

I thought about how much I dislike squats and lunges because they are painful. Because I know the feeling, I tend to avoid them.

I realized I do the same thing with other aspects of my life. I avoid doing the things I don't want to do for whatever reason I don't want to do it. There's nothing wrong with that approach I suppose, if I don't want to grow.

Sometimes I hold myself back in my writing because I think it's silly or stupid or I think I'd be embarrassed to have my family read it. I found though, with the last story I wrote, that if I let myself go for it, I have something really good. Some people might not agree with me, and they may not enjoy it, but I can't please everyone all the time. I have to let go of the self-editing, and put what I feel or what my character would feel, down on paper. If someone wants to be critical about it, so be it.

I can't avoid topics because I fear people talking about me behind my back, or shunning me because I wrote something they think is inappropriate. I have to be who I am and who my characters are. I have to be true to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment