Saturday, February 13, 2010

Do you ever have the feeling of overwhelm?

There are days that I find myself in that position, and it paralyzes me, which adds to the overwhelm. I look at my to-do list and my throat starts constricting and my heart starts racing. The list is so long, I know it can't possibly get done and then I feel like a failure.

This vicious cycle leads nowhere. It surely doesn't help me get anything done.

I've been trying a few different ways to get myself back in control, and surprisingly, they work. So I thought I'd share my insights in hopes that it can help you as well.

The first thing I have done is broken my to-do list into smaller steps. Manageable steps. It makes my list much longer, but the joy of seeing items crossed off is worth it.

Next, I prioritize the tasks. I love being able to mix it up and work on a lot of projects in one day.

Then I estimate the amount of time it will take to do each task. This is where I struggle the most because I still think I'm Super Woman and can get things done faster than I actually can. I'm learning to cushion the time well because when I don't, it adds to my overwhelm.

Last, I use a timer. I set it for the amount of time I allotted to the task, and get to work. I can make a game out of it, Beat The Clock, Race To The Deadline. But that timer really keeps me on task and keeps me motivated.

It's not a perfect system because it doesn't account for the interruptions and the unforeseen problems, but it is helping me keep my sanity.

My husband and dogs appreciate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment