Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Do Your Best




I love P90X. The workout program is one of my favorites. I have always been in good shape, being a runner and lifting weights, but P90X has taken my training to a different level. I have been doing P90X for quite some time now, and love the way I feel once I'm done.

One of Tony Horton's favorite things to say is, “Do your best and forget the rest.” With my P90X workout it's easy for me to forget the rest, because I don’t dwell on the fact that I didn't lift as much weight as I did the last time or that I didn't do as many reps as last time. What matters is that I'm working on myself and I see results.

It is often hard for writers to “forget the rest.” We always try to do our best, but we can't forget the harsh comments, the self-doubt, or the sacrifices that we make. Even when we do our best, we are rejected. Even when we do our best, we may never see our hard work in print. Even when we do our best, we can't always forget the rest.

Maybe we shouldn’t forget, but we also shouldn’t dwell too much on our struggles. Remembering is okay if it’s a motivator to continue doing our best. Remembering is okay if we learn from it. Remembering is okay to keep us humble.

The bottom line? Do your best…

No comments:

Post a Comment