Thursday, January 3, 2013


Maggie is our Belgian Shepherd. She's a funny dog, and at eight years old, shows no signs of slowing down. Maggie is also a stubborn dog. She knows she's not supposed to lie in the middle of the floor where everyone walks, she knows she's not supposed to steal treats from the other dogs, she knows she's not supposed to bark when there’s nothing to bark at.

Maggie has a mind of her own. Sometimes you have to say her name several times in order for her to obey. Other times you just walk around her or give up because she's already stolen the treats or has come inside the house and has quit barking.

Every writer has a stubborn streak. We write and want to hold onto all of our words. Editing is a rough process. We love our words, and we want to give them a fighting chance. But if they aren’t necessary, why do we keep them?

Editing is like asking us to give away a prized possession. If an editor or asks us to cut words, that stubbornness rises and we think it’s impossible to find anything that doesn't belong.

I find that editing is my favorite part of the writing process; the hard part is over. I struggle the most when trying to get the first draft out. Editing is my chance to perfect what I'm trying to say, and to be as objective as possible. Objectivity doesn't come easily because of the stubborn person inside, so I redline, and read my manuscript both ways. Most of the time, I find that the edits make my story stronger. Then, I don't feel so bad about letting go of my hard work.

Sometimes it's okay to be stubborn, if you really can justify the need. But don't take up the fight just to fight. Try editing the way your editor, a beta reader, or your critique group suggests, and let go of that stubbornness. It may be the best decision for your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment