Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Making Something From Nothing


I enter a quilt contest every year. It's called Ugly Duckling/Beautiful Swan. I buy a brown paper bag that contains four mystery fabrics, one yard each. Out of those four yards of fabric (that don't necessarily match), I must create something beautiful. I have entered this contest for the past seven years, and for the first few years, I did well. But the last several years my quilts have been last-minute rush to get it done.

The bad thing is, I buy the fabric in the late summer and the quilt is not due until the end of May—of the next year. When I get my fabrics, I tried to envision something, hope for inspiration, and always promise myself that I will get it sewn and done well before the beginning of May.

I have yet to do that.

When I am creating a quilt design, I have to think a lot about the end product, and what others will like. The same is true of my writing. I spend a lot of time thinking about plots, holding onto the ones that seem viable, and tucking away other ideas for future mulling. When I sew a quilt, it is one stitch at a time. When I write, it is one word at a time. In the end, both quilting and writing should produce a beautiful swan.

Sometimes I succeed, and other times I don't. But because I enjoy both sewing and writing, I will continue to make something out of nothing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment