Thursday, March 28, 2013

Fit Your Life Around Your Writing


If you’re a writer without a day job, I’m jealous. I have so many things to do every day that I have to figure out how to fit it all in.

I have priorities in my life, and I have obligations in my life. On Monday and Wednesday mornings, you can find me at the local university teaching classes before heading to my full-time job, where I also am on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Because my commute is an hour each direction, I get up early to do my workouts. On Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, I go to the gym during lunch as well because those are my two-a-day workouts.

I essentially get up on weekdays at 4:30 am, leave the house by 6:30 am, and find my way back home around 6:00 pm. Once home, I make dinner, feed the family, clean up, and then I have time to read my emails and write before heading to bed sometime between 9:00 and 10:00 pm.  I’m up early on weekends also, because those two days are my time to catch up on everything I didn’t get done during the week, (and partly because I just wake up at 4:30 in the morning no matter what).

I’m always looking for ways to do more each day. I’m sure other writers who have a day job are in the same situation. Some good ideas are in the book Writer with a Day Job (see my review here). I appreciate other writers who willingly share what works for them.

Because I put writing at the end of my day, it might seem like it’s not a priority in my life. It is. In a perfect world, I would write every day, but I don’t. I still have my goal of 2,000 words a week, which I usually achieve. Does that make me less of a writer? No, it doesn’t. It just makes me a writer with a busy life.
 
Would I like writing to be my day job? Of course. But until then, I have to do the best I can with the time I've got!

No comments:

Post a Comment