Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Why Don't Writers Care?


I overheard some people lamenting the fact that they can’t find a good book to read any more. The conversation went something like this:

Person 1: I always read my favorite authors when their books come out, but in between, I have nothing.

Person 2: I know what you mean. I see books that look interesting, but I’ve been burned too many times now and don’t want to waste my money on a promise.

Person 1: Why don’t writers care about their readers?

Person 2: I don’t know, but I shouldn’t have to do research just to find out if someone has had their book edited.  Why does everyone think they’re a writer?

At first, I smiled and nodded with understanding.

Then I got mad.

Most of us work hard to be the best writer we can be. Most of us spend a lot of time and energy working at our writing to produce something readable. Most of us care about our readers and want to give them a great reading experience.

Why does everyone think they’re a writer?

My husband once lamented that every man thinks he can build. He complained regularly that his craft was being diluted by people looking for work who didn’t know how to pound a nail. He was always proud of the end result of his work—the beautiful building that would serve many and that would be a landmark for him, for years to come. Building, to him, was a form of art, and a reminder of the time and energy he expended to create something functional and usually, aesthetic.  He left the construction field several years ago because it was no longer satisfying, and his annoyance level was high since he worked with people who didn’t care.

What are writers who care supposed to do? Continue to put out good product, market ourselves and get known so people can’t wait to read our work again, and keep our audience amazed and delighted.

People are looking for good authors, and we’re out here. Let’s do our best to maintain the integrity of our craft so the public doesn’t discount us and our hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment